Sunday, May 11, 2008

Diving in Santorini :)

Paradise Beach/Paradise Point: the sites of the two dives




Our first morning in Mykonos, after a brief refresher course, I finally used my PADI certification and had mty first experience with ocean diving. It was amazing! At first I was completely freaking out, wonderfing why on earth I was trying to do this - I have forgotten A LOT in the four years since I was certified! But with the help of my


patient instructor/guide, Tasos, I eventually began to feel more comfortable, and I ended up really enjoying the dive. Since it was a shore dive it was not the most impressive scenery, but for someone who had never dove in the ocean, it was incredible! we saw schools of fish, bright orange starfish, various types and colors of coarl, etc. It was beautiful. After we finished the dive I relaxed on the beach and enjoyed a saganaki shrimp appetizer for lunch before preparing for another dive, this time from a boat.


For the afternoon dive I was with Nadia, a German tourist who had obtained an intermediate SCUBA certification earlier in the week, and two instructors, Tasos and Matt. We loaded our gear into the boat and drove to Paradise Point - about 5 minutes from the dive center. There I did my first "boat entry" - basically just falling backwards off the boat with full SCUBA gear on. I doubt it was graceful, but it was fun! We descended along the anchor line then started off along the reef. It was utterly amazing and utterly terrifying at the same time. A few minutes into the dive I became anxious, suddently aware that I was in a foreign country with 3 strangers and I had twelve meters of ocean above me. Needless to say I felt a little trapped. evedntually I was able to calm the hyperventilation and get myself to relax and enjoy the scenery. - I think Matt could tell that both Nadia and I were a little nervous because he stopped us in a sandy area and signaled for us to breath slowly, kick our fins slowly, and enjoy the scenery ( which was fantastic!) - that really helped to calm me down.

Coasting through the reef I felt like I was in a 3D National Geographic move, only it was way better! The water was several incredible shades of blue (different at each depth), the coral was abundant, the rocks created interesting formations with cliffs, coves, and fissures, and schools of fish of various types were all around. As the water warms more and more fish come out. I was fortunate because the guides said that was the most fish they had seen out this season. It was a phenominal experience! I wish I had an underwater camera so I could share it with you all!!!!



No comments: